Introducing the approach and policies related to local communities
Coexistence and Mutual Prosperity of the Company and Local Communities
The Yamaha Motor Group operates in locations around the world, and our business activities help support those local communities. Our products also play a role in enriching the lives of people around the world. We recognize the importance of maintaining a sustainable relationship through which the Company and local communities can coexist and mutually prosper, and to achieve this, we place great importance on maintaining and enhancing a relationship of trust through daily communication with stakeholders in those communities. The Yamaha Motor Group has designated four important areas—Developing Future Leaders, Environmental Conservation, Improving Traffic Safety, and Resolving Local Community Issues—and uses Yamaha Motor’s strengths to contribute to society in line with its business strategy, leading to the enhancement of both social and corporate value.
Promoting mental/emotional and physical health through sports
Promoting creativity through engineering, manufacturing, and marketing
- Fun Engine Laboratory
- Current and former YMC employee volunteers hold classes for children. The objective is to give children an opportunity to come into contact with real machinery, make things, try them out, play, and learn the fun and dreams contained in machines and of making things, including the mistakes made along the way. The activity is primarily held on weekends at the Communication Plaza and Hamamatsu Science Museum through classes on themes such as making wind cars and how to disassemble and assemble engines.
- Class to Discover the Wonders of Boats
- Children unravel the mystery of and learn the wonders of boats, including the principle behind why boats float and move, by using everyday objects or by racing handmade boats. The objective of this class is for children to experience the fun of using their imagination and making crafts.
- Junior Programming Class
- In this programming class, children experience programming using the Scratch programing language on a personal computer to program and operate a robotic car. The objective of this class is to have children enjoy making things move by programming them and experience the process of not only trial and error in a virtual world but also in the real world using actual objects that can be held.
Environmental education for local communities
- Electric Vehicle Class
- We hold Electric Vehicle Classes by request of elementary schools in neighboring cities. In particular, at Tobu Elementary School in Iwata City, which is located very close to our corporate headquarters, we hold the class every year for the school’s sixth graders. At the class, children experience riding PAS electrically power assisted bicycles and electric wheelchairs. They then learn about the impact of global warming and the mechanism of making electricity. Our hope is that the children, who will shape the future, will learn the importance of the global environment and build such an awareness for their daily lives.
- Holding of YMC sponsored Courses at a Local University
- We host courses by request of a local university. Using Clean Water as the subject, the course takes a look at environmental issues and social issues that are impacted by the environment. We host these courses every year in the hope that they will serve as a trigger for students to think about initiatives that are close to home by building an awareness of environmental issues from a global viewpoint.
- Traffic Safety Awareness-Building Activities for the Local Area
- At our corporate headquarters and some of our subsidiaries in Japan, employees carry out traffic safety awareness-building activities on the roadside close to their offices by standing with banners that call attention to traffic safety. The activities are timed with such events as National Road Safety Week. Furthermore, Yamaha Kumamoto Products Co., Ltd., donates plastic sleeves, which contain road safety signage on the cover, to local elementary schools. The aim is to provide children with knowledge related to traffic safety and help raise their awareness.
Supporting the community with Yamaha Motor’s products, human resources, and know-how
- Health Support for Africa
- We have a sales and after-sales service network that extends across 52 countries in Africa where the environment surrounding people’s health is not necessarily a favorable one. We provide health support by providing a means of last mile mobility. This is a contribution made to local medical guidance and other activities in areas with an insufficient transportation infrastructure. The mobility offered by our products is used to deliver pharmaceutical products for the treatment of HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria, and other diseases as well as to provide a means of transport for healthcare professionals and other staff members. Furthermore, we are participating in the Business Leaders’ Coalition for Global Health, a volunteer community of private-sector Japanese companies, the purpose of which is to create a future in which everyone has access to needed medical care and enjoys good health. The vision of this community is Japan working together to support the health and lives of people around the world, and activities are being carried out with 12 other companies.