Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. (the “Company”) and the Company’s group companies [link] (collectively, the “Group”, “we”, “us”, and “our”) aim to provide safe and high-quality products and services that exceed customer expectations in order to “offer new excitement and a more fulfilling life for people all over the world.”
In order to achieve this goal, we consider it important to know about our customers (“you”). Through the process of learning more about you, a key issue for us is to respect and reliably secure your privacy in order to fulfill our social responsibilities through fair and faithful business activities.
- “Handling of Customers’ Personal Information by Yamaha Motor Group in Japan”
- the European Economic Area (EEA)
- California, U.S.A.
1. Personal data obtained by the Group
Categories of personal data obtained by the Group are as follows:
- name, age, date of birth, gender, occupation, address, country of residence, and other information related to contact details, such as phone number, email address, and social media accounts;
- information related to products and services you have purchased (including products and services you intend to purchase) (including product serial number, details of product model, information regarding warranties, information regarding the status and use of products, location information, service history, and store of purchase);
- details regarding your opinions, requests, inquiries, and the other information provided by you;
- information related to an individual that is obtained or derived in connection with products and services (including work incidental to or in connection with those products and services) provided by the Group;
- information related to an individual that is obtained or derived in connection with investigations and various events conducted by or in relation to the Group;
- other information related to an individual that is obtained or derived in order to achieve “2. Purpose of use of personal data”; and
- information on categories for which the Group provides separate notice.
Personal data obtained by the Group includes information directly provided by you to the Group, information provided through a third party, such as counterparties, contractors, business partners, and social media providers (including Facebook and Google), and information provided through products and services provided by the Group. Such information might be used in a combined form within the scope of “2. Purpose of use of personal data.”
We will not obtain or use sensitive information that reveals your data concerning health, genetic data, data concerning sexual orientation, or the like, unless provided for in laws and ordinances or you consent to us doing so.
2. Purpose of use of personal data
Your personal data obtained by the Group will be used for the following purposes:
- Provision of products and services (including services that use information, such as vehicle information and location information, obtained through products, devices, and the like you use) handled by the Group (including work incidental to and in connection with those products and services);
- Management of customer information and related records, and internal administration including sharing information with other companies in the Group;
- Collection and analysis of information, which includes market surveys in order to improve the quality of, develop, and enhance products and services provided by the Group;
- Handling of your inquiries, opinions, and requests;
- Quality evaluations or other internal evaluations of products and services provided by the Group;
- Marketing activities and analysis regarding products and services provided by the Group;
- Introduction of information related to products and services provided by the Group;
- Introduction, operation, and management of, and provision of various types of information for, various events and campaigns conducted by or related to the Group;
- Compliance with laws, ordinances, prefectural ordinances, and other regulations, such as handling of recalls and the like;
- Security measures, such as access control and log acquisition;
- Early ascertainment and handling of information regarding accidents related to products and services provided by the Group, and prompt response and settlement of accidents related to products and services provided by the Group and other matters in dispute;
- Purposes of use for which separate notice is provided upon obtainment of the personal data in question; and
- Other purposes permitted by applicable laws and ordinances.
If after obtaining your personal data we change the purpose of use for which it is processed, we will process that personal data in accordance with applicable laws, ordinances, and the like.
Separately from the details stated in “3. Provision of personal data by the Group”, your personal data may be converted into a form whereby an individual is unable to be identified and then shared within the Group as statistical or aggregated data, regardless of the purpose of use.
3. Provision of personal data by the Group
We do not disclose or provide your personal data to a third party, unless:
- we inform you about such disclosure or provision;
- you give consent yourself; or
- that disclosure or provision is set forth in applicable laws and ordinances.
We may share your personal data within the Group to the extent necessary to achieve the purpose of use that you were notified of in advance.
We provide your personal data to the following third parties. If it is necessary to provide your personal data to a third party other than those provided below, we will individually inform you to that effect.
In providing products and services to you, we may engage contractors to perform all or part of our duties and may provide personal data to the extent necessary to achieve the purpose of use. If we engage any such third parties to process your personal data, we will take necessary and appropriate measures in accordance with applicable laws and ordinances.
Business partners and counterparties
In providing products and services to you, we may, to the extent necessary to achieve the purpose of use, provide your personal data to the following entities after giving you prior notice: our business partners, such as product development and sales services providers, IT and software development service providers, various manufactures, and co-researchers; and counterparties, such as agencies and dealers.
Also, in dealing with your inquiries, requests, or the like, under certain circumstances where it is difficult for us to obtain your prior consent, we may share your personal data with business partners and counterparties to the extent necessary to achieve that purpose.
Legal or regulatory authorities, and professional advisors
We may also share or disclose your personal data with government authorities, regulatory agencies, law enforcement officials, and our professional advisors, if required for the purposes we have told you about, if mandated by law, or if required for the legal protection of our legitimate interests in complying with applicable laws.
4. Transfer of personal data abroad
We are engaged in business activities on a global scale, and in some cases we will transfer your personal data to a country or a region that does not have laws, ordinances, and the like equivalent to those related to protection of personal data in the country or the region where you reside / locate. Upon transferring your personal data abroad, we will take appropriate measures in accordance with provisions set forth in applicable laws and ordinances.
5. Storage period for personal data
We store your personal data for the period necessary to achieve the purpose of use or to perform our obligations under applicable laws, ordinances, and the like.
6. Your Choices
In principle, the provision of your personal data to the Group is made based on your will, and you are not obligated to provide us with your personal data.
However, if you do not provide us with your information, you may experience disadvantages, such as inability to use various services provided by the Group or partial system malfunctions.
7. Logging in from social media accounts
Some services provided by the Group adopt functions that enable users to log in by using their social media (including Facebook and Google) accounts. When you use those functions, we may request your permission to use your social media account information, which includes name and email address, and you will be able to utilize our services using those functions if you grant that permission. You may at any time remove your account from the applicable services of the Group and withdraw your approval from your social media accounts.
8. Processing of children’s personal data
With respect to a child’s personal data, we will obtain consent from statutory agents, such as a person with parental authority over that child, and take other necessary steps in accordance with applicable laws, ordinances, and the like.
10. Organizational and technical measures to protect your personal data
We have established a management system pertaining to personal data protection and appropriately take organizational, physical, and technical safety management measures in order to prevent unauthorized access to personal data, prevent personal data loss, destruction, tampering, leakage, and the like, and otherwise to safely manage personal data. Also, we are aware of the importance of personal data protection and appropriately take personal safety management measures, which includes making efforts to provide educational and awareness campaigns regarding personal data protection for officers, employees, and the like who process personal data.
In the unlikely scenario that leakage of personal data or any other accident occurs, we will appropriately deal with the situation through investigation of the facts and causes and implementation of preventive measures for secondary damage and reoccurrence, etc.
11. Customer rights
If you exercise rights (right of access, right to erasure, and the like) as permitted within the relevant jurisdiction, we will faithfully and appropriately deal with that exercise of rights in accordance with provisions set forth in applicable laws, ordinances, and the like after confirming that the person exercising those rights is you or a person delegated by you to act on your behalf.
If you have any demands, inquiries, or requests regarding the processing of personal data, please contact the following address in writing.
General Affairs Division, Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd.
2500 Shingai, Iwata-shi, Shizuoka-ken, 438-8501
When you contact us, please inform us of your contact details, including your name, address, phone number, and email address, so that we can accurately respond to your requests. We may contact you if any details sent by you are unclear. We may not be able to respond to you if we are not able to confirm such details.
Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd.
2500 Shingai, Iwata-shi, Shizuoka-Ken, 438-8501, Japan
Last updated : March 25, 2020