Handling of Customers’ Personal Information by Yamaha Motor Group in Japan
Yamaha Motor Co. Ltd. (the “Company”) and the Company’s group companies [ link ] (collectively, the “Group”, “we”, “us”, and “our”) aim to provide safe and high-quality products and services that exceed customer expectations in order to “offer new excitement and a more fulfilling life for people all over the world.”
In order to achieve this goal, we consider it important to know about our customers (“you”). Through the process of learning more about you, a key issue for us is to respect and reliably secure your privacy in order to fulfill our social responsibilities through fair and faithful business activities.
1. Personal information obtained by the Group
The Group obtains information related to you, including, but not limited to:
- name, age, date of birth, gender, occupation, or other information related to contact details, such as address, phone number, email address, and social media accounts;
- information related to products and services you have purchased (including products and services you intend to purchase) (including product serial number, details of product model, information regarding warranties, information regarding the status and use of products, location information, service history, and store of purchase);
- details regarding your opinions, requests, inquiries, and the other information provided by you;
- information related to an individual that is obtained or derived in connection with products and services (including work incidental to or in connection with those products and services) provided by the Group;
- information related to an individual that is obtained or derived in connection with investigations and various events conducted by or in relation to the Group; and
- other information related to an individual that is obtained or derived in order to achieve “2. Purpose of use of personal information.”
Personal information obtained by the Group includes information directly provided by you to the Group, information provided through a third party, such as counterparties, contractors, business partners, and social media providers (including Facebook and Google), and information provided through products and services provided by the Group. Such information might be used in a combined form within the scope of “2. Purpose of use of personal information.”
We will not obtain or use sensitive information that reveals your race, beliefs, social status, medical history, criminal history, any fact relating to damage you have incurred as a result of a crime, or the like, unless provided for in laws and ordinances or you consent to us doing so.
2. Purpose of use of personal information
Personal information that we obtain from you is used only for the following purposes, except when prescribed in laws and ordinances.
- Provision of products and services (including work incidental to and in connection with those products and services) handled by the Group;
- Management of customer information and related records, and internal administration including sharing information with other companies in the Group;
- Collection and analysis of information, which includes market surveys in order to improve the quality of, develop, and enhance products and services provided by the Group;
- Handling of your inquiries, opinions, and requests;
- Quality evaluations or other internal evaluations of products and services provided by the Group;
- Marketing activities and analysis regarding products and services provided by the Group;
- Introduction of information related to products and services provided by the Group;
- Introduction, operation, and management of, and provision of various types of information for, various events and campaigns conducted by or related to the Group;
- Compliance with laws, ordinances, prefectural ordinances, and other regulations, such as handling of recalls and the like;
- Security measures, such as access control and log acquisition;
- Handling based on notifications, guidance, demands, investigation requests, and the like from national or local authorities, Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association, Inc., Japan Marine Industry Association, or any other public organization;
If an announcement related to any of the preceding items is provided through a distributor or the like that has a transactional relationship with the Group (a “Distributor”), personal information will be provided to that Distributor
- Early ascertainment and handling of information regarding accidents related to products and services provided by the Group, and prompt response and settlement of accidents related to products and services provided by the Group and other matters in dispute;
- Purposes of use for which separate notice is provided upon obtainment of the personal information in question;
- Other purposes permitted by the Personal Information Protection Act and other laws and ordinances.
If after obtaining your personal information we change the purpose of use for which it is processed, we will process that personal information in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act.
Separately from the details stated in “3. Provision of personal data by the Group”, your personal information may be shared within the Group as statistical or aggregated data, regardless of the purpose of use, after we have converted the personal information into a form whereby a specific individual is unable to be identified.
3. Provision of personal data by the Group
We do not disclose or provide your personal data to a third party, unless:
- we have obtained your consent in advance;
- you give consent yourself;
- that disclosure or provision is set forth in the Personal Information Protection Act; or
- your personal data is subject to joint use.
We may share your personal data within the Group to the extent necessary to achieve the purpose of use that you were notified of in advance.
We provide your personal data to the following third parties. If it is necessary to provide your personal data to a third party other than those provided below, we will individually inform you to that effect.
- 1) Contractors
- In providing products and services to you, we may engage contractors to perform all or part of our duties and may provide personal data to the extent necessary to achieve the purpose of use. If we engage any such third parties to process your personal data, we will take necessary and appropriate measures in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act.
- 2) Business partners and counterparties
- In providing products and services to you, we may, to the extent necessary to achieve the purpose of use, provide your personal data to the following entities after giving you prior notice: our business partners, such as product development and sales services providers, IT and software development service providers, various manufactures, and co-researchers; and counterparties, such as agencies and dealers.
Also, in dealing with your inquiries, requests, or the like, under certain circumstances where it is difficult for us to obtain your prior consent, we may share your personal data with business partners and counterparties to the extent necessary to achieve that purpose.
- 3) Legal or regulatory authorities, and professional advisors
- We may also share or disclose your personal data with government authorities, regulatory agencies, law enforcement officials and our professional advisors, if required for the purposes we have told you about, if mandated by law, or if required for the legal protection of our legitimate interests in complying with applicable laws.
- 4) Joint use
- The Group may jointly use personal data, such as your name, contact details (including address, phone number and email address), information related to products and services (including information related to warranties), and information about inquiries from you to the extent provided for in “2. Purpose of use of personal information” and with the company acting as an administrative manager of that joint use.
4. Transfer of personal data outside Japan
We are engaged in business activities on a global scale, and in some cases we will transfer your personal data to a country or a region that does not have laws, ordinances, and the like equivalent to those related to protection of personal data in Japan. Upon transferring your personal data abroad, we will take appropriate measures in accordance with provisions set forth in the Personal Information Protection Act.
5. Storage period for personal data
We store your personal information for the period necessary to achieve the purpose of use or to perform our obligations under applicable laws, ordinances, and the like.
6. Your Choices
In principle, the provision of your personal information to the Group is made based on your will, and you are not obligated to provide us with your personal information.
However, if you do not provide us with your information, you may experience disadvantages, such as inability to use various services provided by the Group or partial system malfunctions.
7. Logging in from social media accounts
Some services provided by the Group adopt functions that enable users to log in by using their social media (including Facebook and Google) accounts. When you use those functions, we may request your permission to use your social media account information, which includes name and email address, and you will be able to utilize our services using those functions if you grant that permission. You may at any time remove your account from the applicable services of the Group and withdraw your approval from your social media accounts.
8. Processing of children’s personal information
With respect to a child’s personal information, we will obtain consent from statutory agents, such as a person with parental authority over that child, and take other necessary steps in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act.
10. Organizational and technical measures to protect your personal information
We have established a management system pertaining to personal information protection and appropriately take organizational, physical, and technical safety management measures in order to prevent unauthorized access to personal information, prevent personal information loss, destruction, tampering, leakage, and the like, and otherwise to safely manage personal information. Also, we are aware of the importance of personal information protection and appropriately take personal safety management measures, which includes making efforts to provide educational and awareness campaigns regarding personal information protection for officers, employees, and the like who process personal information.
In the unlikely scenario that leakage of personal information or any other accident occurs, we will appropriately deal with the situation through investigation of the facts and causes and implementation of preventive measures for secondary damage and reoccurrence, etc.
11. Customer rights
If we receive any request from you in relation to disclosure, correction, addition, deletion, suspension of use, or erasure of your personal data, we will faithfully and appropriately deal with that request in accordance with provisions set forth in the Personal Information Protection Act. after confirming that the person making the request is you or a person delegated by you to act on your behalf. For details, please refer to the following.
When you contact us, please inform us of your contact details, including your name, address, phone number, and email address, so that we can accurately respond to your requests. We may contact you if any details sent by you are unclear. We may not be able to respond to you if we are not able to confirm such details.
Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd.
2500 Shingai, Iwata-shi, Shizuoka-ken, 438-8501, Japan
The replies that we send to customers are intended to send to individual customers for the purpose of answering their inquiries. Please refrain from forwarding part or all of the replies for any other purposes.
Last updated: September 1, 2020
Handling of Personal Information of Shareholders/Investors
1. Retained personal data
We will retain the following personal data on shareholders/investors:
- Personal information of shareholders described in the shareholders’ list;
- Personal information of investors who registered with membership services.
2. Use within the purpose of use
We will use obtained personal information for the following purposes:
- To exercise the rights or perform the obligations in accordance with the Companies Act;
- To provide benefits for the position of shareholder from us;
- To take various measures to smooth the relationship between shareholders and us;
- To manage shareholders including creating a data of shareholders according to the prescribed standard based on various laws and regulations;
- To deliver IR-relating information to investors by email.
3. Provision of personal information to a third party
We do not provide obtained personal information to any third party without the consent of the shareholder/investor. However, we could provide personal information to a contractor in order to outsource services relating to handling of personal data. Even in this case, we will require the contractor to properly handle the personal information we provided as well as we will appropriately manage the information.
4. Inquiry desk
Please contact the following desk for any inquiry and consultation on personal information of shareholders/investors:
Investor & Shareholder Relations Group, Corporate Communication Division,
Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd.
Reception Time: 9:00-12:30 / 13:30-17:00 Monday to Friday (except for holidays and day off prescribed by us, etc.)
For any request including disclosure of the purpose of use of personal information of shareholders/investors, see the following website:
Last updated: March 25, 2020