Next-generation Yamaha Motor High-performance Compact Engine - BLUE CORE, Annual production target of 5 million units by 2020, based on 3 types of engines
September 12, 2014
IWATA, September 12, 2014 - Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. (Tokyo:7272) has developed a next-generation compact engine based on the BLUE CORE concept, which strives to take riding enjoyment, fuel efficiency and environmental performance to all-new levels.
This BLUE CORE engine is the next-generation high-performance compact engine with a particular emphasis on 1) high combustion efficiency, 2) excellent cooling performance, and 3) power loss reduction.
The air-cooled 125cc engine that powers our Nozza Grande – a new scooter released in August 2014 for women in Vietnam – is the newly-developed BLUE CORE engine, and it meets the goal of improving fuel efficiency of motorcycles by 50% compared to Yamaha Motor models in 2008.
One of the characteristics of the BLUE CORE engine is versatility. Thanks to its ability to fine-tune the ride characteristics, fuel efficiency and eco-friendliness depending on the product positioning, the BLUE CORE engine is able to power multiple model variations.
With the aim to reach annual production of 5 million units by 2020 based on three types of engines, Yamaha Motor will progressively introduce this BLUE CORE engine to various models to be launched in both emerging and developed markets.
Main Specifications of the BLUE CORE engine equipped on Nozza Grande
- Air-cooled, 4-stroke, single-cylinder, SOHC, 2-valve, 125cc fuel-injected engine with CVT
- Bore × stroke of 52.4 mm × 57.9 mm / Compression ratio of 11.0:1
- Forged aluminum piston, offset cylinder
- DiASil Cylinder, compact high-efficiency fan, new shroud shape, high number (dense) of slim cooling fins
- Lightweight design (standalone weight of 32.1 kg for the power unit and kickstart crank)
- CVT for excellent drive force transmission efficiency (low loss) and optimized reduction ratios