Tropical Summer Vacation Bento
Yamaha Motors developed the HIFLEX-11 as a sporty, ...
Yamaha Motors developed the HIFLEX-11 as a sporty, compact FRP boat in an attempt to popularize marine leisure sports. Together with the Stripe hull models that appeared later for offshore use, the HIFLEX became the company’s flagship series of pleasure boats.
Introducing a centries-old, traditional style of making sushi.
- (1) Sushi-vinegar (Mix rice vinegar (80cc), sugar (50g), and salt (15g) and let the mixture sit overnight)
- (2) Cooked rice (The rice should weigh 450 g before cooking)
- (3) Salmon (Must be fresh enough to eat as raw as “sashimi”)
- (4) Rice vinegar 5 tablespoons
- (5) Sugar 1 tablespoon
- (6) Salt 1 teaspoon
- (7) Shiso leaves (optional)
- (1) Beets, daikon (Japanese radish), kombu seaweed (Kelp), carrot, and any other other vegetables you like
- (2) Ama-zu (Sweet-and-sour vinegar: mix rice vinegar (300cc), sugar (6 tablespoons), salt (2 teaspoons). Boil it and let it cool by itself)
- (3) Kamaboko fish cake
- (4) Cucumber
- (5) Gobo (burdock root)
- (6) Mirin, sake and soy sauce (40 cc each) dashi 400cc
- (7) Snapper flakes (recipe available here)
*You can usually find these ingredients at most Asian specialty stores.
- (1) Make sushi-vinegar.
- (2) Cook the rice and put it in a large bowl while it’s hot. Pour sushi-vinegar from (1) above into the rice and mix it quickly for approximately 1 minute - don’t mix too much or the rice will become gooey. Use a paper fan to cool the rice.
- (3) Slice the salmon and remove the skin. Place the salmon pieces on plastic wrap and sprinkle with some salt, rice vinegar and sugar from (4), (5), (6) above. Put the wrap on top and let it sit for more than 10 minutes.
- (4) Put the sushi rice you made in (2) into a bento box and place the salmon from (3) on top.
- (1) Place the ingredients from (1) above in the ama-zu mixture.
- (2) Slice cucumber thinly and cut it in the shape of palm leaves. Place the finished “leaves” in salt water (water with approximately the same degree of saltiness as sea water) and let it sit for a while.
- (3) Clean the gobo with a scrubbing brush, cut it into 5 cm pieces, and let it sit in water.
- (4) Drain off the water from (3) and cook the gobo in mirin, sake, soy sauce and dashi for 7 - 10 minutes. Let the gobo cool by itself.