- IM Division reorganized as in-house company "IM Company"
- Corporate ties with Toyota Motor Co. strengthened
- Yamaha Motor Asian Center Co., Ltd. (YMAC) founded in Thailand
- Toru Hasegawa appointed as fifth YMC president
- Yamaha builds temporary pool "Suimu 21" for the main competition pool of the 9th World Swimming Championships in Fukuoka, Japan
- Yamaha succeeds in the high-concentration mass culturing of the diatom (microalgae) Chaetoceros
- Announcement of new three-year plan "NEXT 50"
- New 4-region headquarters system initiated with newly established headquarters for Asia and Japan added to the existing European and N. American headquarters
- Limited regional release of the electric commuter motorcycle "Passol"
- Manufacture of 50cc scooters for the Japanese market shifted to YMT in Taiwan
- Marine Engine Division reorganized as in-house company "ME Company"
- Yamaha Motor Distribution Singapore Pte. Ltd. (YDS) founded
- Start of "YAMAHA CCS 21 Campaign"
- Won MotoGP rider championship title
- Takashi Kajikawa appointed as sixth YMC president
- New medium-term management plan "NEXT 50 - Phase II" announced
- Yamaha captures MotoGP triple crown by winning the rider, team and manufacturer titles
- Sales company Yamaha Motor CIS (YMCIS) founded in Russia
- Life Science Laboratory opened in Fukuroi, Shizuoka, as research and development center for YMC's bio-technology business
- Motorcycle manufacturing factory Yamaha Motor Manufacturing West Java (YMMWJ) founded in Indonesia
- Mass production of microalgae as a source for the high-potential health additive Astaxanthin begun at factory in Fukuroi, Shizuoka
- Global Parts Center established in Fukuroi city, Japan and full operations begun
- Compliance Promotion Committee established
- Following the recommendation by the Compliance Promotion Committee, governance structure is strengthened
- "CF Magnesium Diecasting Technology" introduced, and used for the first time in commercial production of a motorcycle rear frame
- ASTIVO released as Yamaha's first health food product
- Commencement of manufacturing and sales of motorcycles at Yamaha Motor Philippines, Inc (YMPH) in the Philippines
- Number of motorcycles produced in Indonesia plants reaches a cumulative total of 10 million units
- Long-term vision "Frontier 2020" established along with new medium-term management plan as its Phase One
- Motorcycle manufacturing and marketing joint venture Yamaha Motor Cambodia Co., Ltd. (YMKH) established in Cambodia
- Motorcycle manufacturing joint venture India Yamaha Motor Private Limited (IYM) established in India with Mitsui & Co., Ltd.
- Global Training Center established in Indonesia
- Yamaha Riding Academy training facility for promoting motorcycle riding safety opened in Thailand
- Yamaha wins MotoGP triple crown of manufacturer, team and rider championships
- Tsuneji Togami appointed as seventh Yamaha Motor Company president
- Along with revisions in business result projections, policies of returning to profitability on a consolidated income basis in fiscal 2010 and achieving a consolidated operating income margin of 5% in fiscal 2012 were announced
- Yamaha Marine Co., Ltd. merged into YMC
- Use of the new Y.C.A.T. automatic transmission on production mopeds announced
- Yamaha wins MotoGP triple crown of maker, team and rider championship titles for second year in a row