- Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. was founded with Genichi Kawakami as the first President
- Nippon Gakki Hamana Factory established in Hamakita-cho (present Hamamatsu city), Hamana-gun, Shizuoka Pref., and production of our first product, the 125cc Yamaha motorcycle "YA-1" begins
- YA-1 wins 125cc class of the 3rd Mount Fuji Ascent Race
- YA-1 captures first three places at the 1st All Japan Autobike Endurance Road Race (Asama Highlands Race) in the Ultralight (125cc) class
- YA-1 wins 1st to 8th places (125cc class) and YC-1 wins 1st to 5th places (250cc class) at 4th Mount Fuji Ascent Race
- Yamaha Motor Hamamatsu Research Institute founded and operations shifted from the Nippon Gakki Hamamatsu Research Institute
- YA Racer wins 1st, 2nd and 5th places (125cc class) and YD Racer wins 1st to 3rd places (Light class) at 2nd All Japan Autobike Endurance Road Race (Asama Highlands Race)
- Took 6th place in first attempt at 8th Catalina Grand Prix in the U.S. (Yamaha's international racing debut)
- Yamaha De Mexico S.A. de C.V. established with investment by Nippon Gakki and local Mexican investors and begins sales of Yamaha Motor products
- Yamaha "YA-2" becomes first motorcycle to win Japan's "Good Design Award"
- The first full-fledged sports motorcycle by a Japanese maker, "YDS1" released, actor Yujiro Ishihara used as commercial endorser
- Kitagawa Motor Co., Ltd. joins Yamaha Motor group
- Yamaha Technological Research Institute established at Hamakita-cho (present Hamamatsu city), Hamana-gun, Shizuoka Pref., for overall R&D for Yamaha Motor group
- Completion of Tenryu test course in Hamakita-cho (present Hamamatsu city), Hamana-gun, Shizuoka Pref.